Sponsored

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Ruined Plans :: Early Retirement Drawback

While talking to the head of HR, I just learned today that our company has no early retirement policy. Ouch!

In some companies, when you quit your job, your separation pay amounts to “your current rate multiplied by the years of service you rendered to the company”. All the while I thought this was default in every company, seems that I counted my chickens too soon.

So without something to look forward to when I resign, I am back to square one. My original plan was to resign after a couple more years and use the money to open up a small business (or to inject the money to the existing one that I had for the longest time).

It is too late now to look for another company that has a this policy because of my plans of early retirement, so I guess I am stuck with this job for a couple more years, and during that time I need to know how to come up with the capital that I need.

"Make do of what you have". I heard this from my former boss at my second job. But even before I heard it from her, all my life I have been using every resource that I have to be able to survive. Notice the term I used, survive. This is the life that I have known ever since I was young.

When I was at school I used my skills in drawing to make projects for my classmates. The only research material that I have is two editions of The Book of Knowledge. One project I remember is the musical instruments. I browsed the two inch thick books and looked for pictures, then copied them using a bond paper and a pencil. No colors.

Another money maker before was printing shirts. Since I do not have money for the materials, I made them myself from wood, slippers, stockings, and paper. The only thing that I bought was the textile paint. I also remember ruining some shirts because I over used the paper that I cut out. I also remember using low cost shirts that gets destroyed after one wash. Those were very embarrassing times for me, but I still managed to earn a little.

So I guess I have to do what I do best, I need to be resourceful once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment